- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (I used marble, but I think a goat cheese would be fabulous!)
- 1/2 cup no-fat cottage cheese
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 green onions (including the white sections
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Combine all your ingredients until they are throughly mixed. If you are adding your quinoa warm/hot, make sure to temper it into the mixture to avoid cooking your eggs (tempering means adding bit by bit, mixing after each addition. This slow adding method allows the temperature of the dish to adjust without cooking the raw eggs).
In a large frying pan, add in a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and turn your heat to medium. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop your mixture and place on the frying pan. Flatten each quinoa burger down until they are 1/2 inch thick. Let fry for 4 minutes, then flip, allowing the other side to fry for another four minutes. While making all the burgers, I turned my oven to 200°F and put the cooked quinoa burgers on a parchment lined cookie sheet to keep them warm.
The salad itself is savoury and sweet all at the same time. I will definitely be making this salad (and the burgers) again in the future!
- 2 fresh avocados (diced)
- 1/2 cup red onion (diced)
- 2 blood oranges (peeled and diced – normal oranges would also work)
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh italian parsley (fresh mint, basil or cilantro would also work)
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
Combine all the above ingredients, give a gentle stir and serve! I loved the color variation of this salad – remember, people eat with their eyes first!
I hope you enjoyed these healthy, delicious recipes and are looking forward to the other recipes coming down the BS pipeline soon!